The Pew research team reports that most online purchasers spend about $10 per month for digital subscriptions, paid content and access to paid media. However, the heaviest users spent much more per month.
– 65 percent of internet users have paid for online content
– 33 percent of internet users have paid for digital music online
– 33 percent have paid for software
– 21 percent have paid for apps for their cell phones or tablet computers
– 18 percent have paid for digital newspapers, magazines, or articles
– 16 percent have paid for videos, movies, or TV shows
– 10 percent have paid for e-books
Clearly the reluctance of people in the past to pay for online digital content is no longer a barrier to selling content online. And as others are seeing in online music sales, the market is stratified and there are some people willing to pay a lot more than others in order to get their digital content. Often 10-20 times more.
Read more from the PEW Internet and Life Project